Ways with Mayonnaise
Lots of chopped fresh herbs give this quick and simple dish its pronounced flavour, and bite-sized pieces of crisp, toasted pita bread provide texture. Serve the salad for a light meal with a hint of summer at any time of the year.
Add the following ingredients to 1 cup (250 ml) good-quality shop-bought or homemade mayonnaise. For a healthier alternative, try 1/2 cup (125 ml) each of mayonnaise and natural (plain) yoghurt or crème fraîche.
- Aioli 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Curry 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Herb 1/2 cup (about 30 g) chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley, basil and thyme
- Horseradish 2 tablespoons grated horseradish from a jar and 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives
- Lime or lemon 2 teaspoons grated zest and 1 tablespoon juice
- Mustard 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Wasabi 2 teaspoons lime or lemon juice and 1–2 teaspoons of wasabi (Japanese horseradish).
Find these tips and many more, plus 150 colourful, healthy recipes from cuisines around the world in Seasonal Salads. Available from Reader’s Digest.